A red dot sight simply refers to a non-magnifying reflector that is attached to devices that require aiming, such as a rifle. It comes with a red dot, which is going to tell you exactly where your target is. The illumination of the red dot will let you know exactly where the bullet will be headed. They are accurate and quick, which are exactly the reasons why people opt to add a sight on their weapons.
Not all red dot sights are created the same. If you are going to buy one, there are many options that will confront you, with each manufacturer claiming to have the best model that is available. Some people may decide to choose one with the cheapest price. However, keep in mind that price alone should not be the sole factor that will affect your decision. You should take the time to read reviews from other people. You should also take a look at the overall construction and technical features of the red dot sight.
Are you clueless on which one to pick? Keep on reading and we will provide you with insights on some of the best choices for the best red dot sight. We will identify some of the most important factors that should be taken into account. We will also recommend five of the best models that can be taken into consideration.
Advantages of Using Red Dot Sight
Need reasons to be convinced that you should be investing in a red dot sight? The following are some of the reasons, which will surely persuade you to have one:
- Increases Accuracy and Precision: One of the best things about having a red dot sight is that it is going to make your shooting more accurate and precise. This is exactly the reason why it is highly recommended for those who are novices in shooting to invest in such a device.
- Faster Target Acquisition: The bright red dot makes it easy to acquire your target in a snap. Aiming should never be a big problem. Again, as earlier pointed out, this is going to be highly beneficial for those who are just getting started with the shooting. There is no more excuse for you to miss your target!
- Correct Point of Aim: Another advantage of a red dot sight, which will provide you with a good reason to have one, is the fact that it is going to ensure proper aiming, especially for defense. When you need to defend yourself, external factors can make it harder to focus on your aim. With this, a red dot sight will provide you with the assurance that you will need less time and effort to have your sight aligned with your target.
- Brightens Low Light Environments: If you are shooting in an environment with low light, it is going to be harder to see your target accurately. With a red dot sight, brightness can be managed effectively, but this will all depend on the features of the specific model that you will choose.
- Increased Situational Awareness: This is probably one of the greatest advantages of using a red dot sight. You will become more focused on the threat or with the target. There is no need to shift from the sight to the threat.
- Wider Field of View: This benefit is specifically true when it is compared with the functionality of tube-style scope. With red dot scopes, you will be able to have a wider view of your target, making it easy to fire shots even if you are in longer distances.
Why Do You Need a Red Dot Sight?
The following are some of the reasons why you should seriously consider investing in a red dot sight that is unrivaled in terms of quality and functionality.
- Improve your Shooting Performance: If you are a beginner, it is pretty much understandable that you won’t be able to demonstrate impressive shooting performance. With this, a red dot sight is going to be extremely helpful.
- Estimate your Target Range: Another reason why you should invest in a red dot sight is the fact that it is going to give you an idea on how close or how distant you are from the target that you are aiming.
- When Shooting at a Close Distance: The main purpose of a red dot sight is to help you see your target in close distance shooting. Therefore, if you are shooting close to your target, you should definitely be using a red dot sight.
- Solves Vision Limitation: If you have visual problems, such as short-sightedness and astigmatism, you have another good reason to use a red dot sight. This is going to provide vision correction, providing you with the guarantee of being able to make you a better shooter.
Top 5 Picks for the Best Red Dot Sight
Having a hard time picking a red dot sight? We are here to make things a lot easier. Do not be overwhelmed with the abundance of the possibilities and never make a decision in haste. Keep on reading and know more about five of the best options that are available, as well as the distinctive set of features that make them among the best within the product category.
How To Find The Best Red Dot Sight?
The following are the things that you should do to be able to find the best red dot sight that is available in the market today:
1. Decide If You Need One:
Not everyone would need a red dot sight. In some instances, you might realize that what you actually need is a telescopic sight and not a red dot sight. Generally speaking, you will need a red dot sight if you are using a rifle or a shotgun and if you are shooting at close distances. On the other hand, if you intend to be shooting at extreme distances, a telescopic sight is needed as it is going to allow you to see your target accurately from afar.
2. Choose the Dot Size and Dot Pattern:
Once you are already decided that you need a red dot sight, the next thing that should be done is to take into account the dot size and pattern that you will need. If the dot is too small, your eyes may be unable to pick up the target quickly. On the other hand, if it is too large, it can block the target from your sight. Choosing the dot size is also critical because it has a huge role to play in range estimation.
3. Choose between Reflex or Holographic:
Generally speaking, there are two options that are available for people who are looking for a red dot sight. The first is reflex sight, which uses LED technology for the purpose of allowing light to bounce off from the reflective coating of the scope. This results in having a minimal glass tint, but this does not affect the way you see your target. The second option is known as a holographic weapon sight. One of its biggest differences from the latter is the fact that it is made from a glass that is 100% clear. It is, however, slightly polarized.
4. Choose the Right Size:
When considering the size of the red dot sight to purchase, there are two options. The first one is a full-size red dot sight, which is a cheaper option. Nonetheless, the disadvantages of such include the fact that it is going to be heavy and bulky. If you have the budget, an excellent alternative would be a micro-dot sight, which is significantly smaller in terms of size and lighter in terms of weight.
5. Choose Between Battery Free or Electronic:
The presence of a battery is one of the things that will differentiate the options that you will have for a red dot sight. Many people would despise the models that are operated with a battery because of the fear that the sight will be rendered useless when the battery dies. The good news is that most of the batteries can prove to be excellent for many years of use. Nonetheless, many still opt for battery-free models because of reliability. More often than not, they are illuminated by tritium luminescent inserts or they are powered by solar energy.
6. Consider Durability:
Another thing that should not be ignored would be the overall construction of the red dot sight, as well as the materials that are used. Make sure that they are made with the use of premium materials, which will be able to withstand the test of time. Consider a red dot sight as an investment, which is why you should be focused on choosing one that has extended functional life.
7. Determine your Budget:
Before you even start looking for a red dot sight, one of the first things that should be done is to know how much you are willing to spend. With this, you will find it a lot easier to narrow down the possibilities. At all times, you should never compromise quality and functionality only to buy a product that comes with a cheap price tag. For those who are looking for affordable options, there are models that fall within the $100 below price range but expect that they are basic ad they are made from less durable materials. Those that are within $400 to $600, on the other hand, may be expensive, but they can prove to be the perfect choices because of being feature-rich, such as having variable brightness, night vision compatibility, various illumination colors, and aiming aids.
8. Check Feedbacks from Previous Users:
Lastly, before you reach a decision with regards to which one should be chosen, you should take the time to consult with what other people have to say. This can be done through reading online reviews or asking around for recommendations from people you personally know. Their insights and experiences will make it a snap to see how one option is going to be different from the other.
Tips in Using a Red Dot Sight
When you are using a red dot sight, keep the following things in mind, which will increase the likelihood of being able to yield the benefits that have been earlier mentioned:
- Handle the Firearm Carefully: Even if you are using the best option for a red dot sight, if you are unaware of how the firearm can be handled properly, you will not be able to yield its maximum benefits. In addition, handling the firearm is also essential for your safety, more than just for making the most out of your red dot sight.
- Mount it Properly: Another important thing that should be taken into consideration would be the proper vertical and horizontal mounting of the red dot sight. It should be fastened securely so that it will stay in place, and more importantly so that it will allow you to see your target more accurately.
- Clean it Regularly: Regular cleaning is important not only for your gun but also for your red dot sight. External conditions, such as dust in the shooting field, can affect its functionality. Make sure to refer to the instructions from the manufacturer so that you will know how it can be cleaned properly.
Indeed, looking for the best red dot sight will not be a straightforward task, especially because of the overwhelming options that will confront you. At all times, you should never make a decision in haste or choose one product only because it is the cheapest option available. Rather than guessing which one is the best, keep an eye on the products we have mentioned above. To differentiate one of the other, keep in mind the factors we have earlier noted. For sure, you will end up making a decision you won’t regret.