There are a lot of people who try to steer clear from hunting because they cannot imagine themselves doing the cleaning and the prepping of animals. In the past, humans hunted for food. They went far into the woods to hunt animals to eat. In the modern world that we live in right now, hunting is not that common unless people are doing it for fun.
Let’s get things straight though, there are still some areas wherein hunting is a need because this is their primary source of food. Let us say that you have recently gotten interested in hunting and you like to search for a grouse because you have never tried it before. What stops you is the thought that you do not know how to clean it. No need to worry anymore because first and foremost, grouse is very easy to clean.
Equipment You Need to Clean Grouse
Before you start cleaning your grouse, you need to make sure that you have all the needed equipment. There are two methods that you can use in order to clean, the first is dry pluck and the second one is wet pluck. Out of the two, a lot of people favor the wet plucking more and it is likely that you will too. In order to start, you need the following:
- Canning Pot
- Kitchen Shears
- Ice (Optional)
Of course, if in case you do not like your grouse to absorb water, you can try dry plucking. This may be a bit harder to execute but you will have no trouble with the grouse’s taste.
Step By Step Guide
Now that you have some knowledge about the items that you need to clean your grouse, just remember one important tip and that is to make sure that you are removing all bugs that may be on the grouse’s feathers. This will be discussed further later.
- 1. Lay the bird on its back and make sure that you spread its wings wide open.
- 2. You need to place your feet on the grouse’s feet. You should put pressure on the part where the wings are conjoined to the bird’s body.
- 3. Remember that if the kill is fresh, you will have an easier time cleaning your grouse. Pull the legs away from the grouse’s body.
- 4. If you were able to remove the legs of the grouse well, then you will be cutting the cleaning time short as you only need to pay attention to cleaning the grouse’s head and entrails.
- 5. In order to make it easier, start from the top and pull the head away with the use of your fingers. It will be easier for you to get rid of the entrails as well if you do this.
- 6. You would have to remove the wings from the breast area of the grouse. You can use your knife to remove the wings although some people would prefer snapping the wings and twisting them off away from the bird.
- 7. Once you have removed the wings, you will see that there are some remnants that will be left behind. You can use your kitchen shears to remove those.
- 8. Make sure that you have gotten rid of all of the feathers especially on the breast area because it would not be nice to eat if there are feathers that you would be forced to eat it with, right?
- 9. Wash the skin of the grouse thoroughly to ensure that you are removing all remnants of the feathers and possible bugs. There are some people who do not like to place the grouse under running water for a long period of time because the skin of the grouse tends to become slimy after some time.
- 10. You can choose to freeze the grouse first to get rid of possible bacteria or you can start prepping it so you can avoid the grouse’s meat from spoiling.
Some Tips to Remember
- If you would like to preserve the meat, you may choose to place it on the ice first after you have cleaned it thoroughly.
- It is vital that you remove all of the grouse’s feathers because the bacteria found in it can contaminate the meat faster.
- It is easy to clean a grouse but if you would do one step wrong then cleaning might not be too effective.
There are a lot of people who like doing an easy recipe of grouse which is frying it. Simply season the meat of the grouse the way that you want it. You can go as spicy and salty as you want but most people just love frying this with butter because grouse meat tastes great with it. You may realize that it even tastes better than chicken but of course, this can vary from one person to another. Remember not to overcook grouse meat as they tend to become dry immediately. Just serve with rice or roasted potatoes and enjoy eating.