You know that you want to become a part of a very exciting mountain lion hunt but you do not have enough details to be sure if you are going to be successful at doing it or not. The Mountain Lion is highly elusive and if you do not know any better, you will have to accept defeat and go home empty handed.
Going on guided mountain lion hunts will increase your chances of catching a mountain lion and make it as part of your trophy. Mountain lions are majestic and this makes the typical hunter like you, to feel that you want it. If you do not know a lot of details about hunting this evasive animal, you may find yourself feeling confused the moment that you see it in person. It can take your breath away and make you forget what your main goal is which is to hunt it.
What are the steps that you need to take in order to get on a mountain lion hunt? Get to know more details as you continue to read the information below.
Things You Will Learn
Some of the things that you will learn are the following:
- The right places to go on a mountain lion hunt.
- The right dates on when you can go hunting.
- Effective weapons that you are going to use to get your very own mountain lion.
- Some rules, tips and tricks that you have to follow.
Are you already excited to get on with the details that you are going to know about hunting for your very own mountain lion?
Where You Can Hunt
It will be more accessible to go towards Montana for a mountain lion. You will have a better chance of catching an Eastern Montana Mountain Lion because you can see the snow tracks that they left behind just moments ago before you reach your location. If you are non-resident, your chances of getting a license are harder so reserve ahead of time. Another location wherein you can catch a mountain lion is in Idaho near the northern side of Nevada. Where you plan to go will depend on how near these locations are from where you currently live. You may also choose the place that is more accessible.
Now that you already know where you are going to hunt, it is only fitting that you get to know when are the right dates for you to start hunting. You are recommended to hunt from the very first day of December until the last day of January if you are going to hunt in the mountains. If you are going to hunt on Idaho however, you may hunt from November to January. Be specific about the date when you are going as the slots can be limited.
The Right Weapons to Use
What type of weapon do you usually use to hunt? Perhaps you have always been an archer and you love using your bow and arrow to hunt for other animals but this time, you are not recommended to use your bow and arrow no matter how advanced they are because of the range that you can hit the lions. If you truly want to catch a mountain lion, you need to use a rifle. A handgun will be fine too but a rifle is your best bet for making a clean kill.
It will also help if you are highly skilled in taking shots. If you only hit the mountain lion and it is not fatal, you will only end up hurting the animal and it can make a quick escape. You also want to make a clean kill so that it can truly be a trophy. Some guided mountain lion hunts provide their very own rifles but it will be up to you if you want to bring yours or not.
Since we are already talking about weapons, you also need to bring your own gear with you because you may need to stay at a certain location for a few days or so. Here are some of the items that you should bring:
- Sleeping Bag
- Hunting Clothing
- Boots – It will be best if you can have boots that are made specifically for going through snow.
- Survival Kit – This may be composed of food, a first aid kit, a flashlight and a Swiss army knife.
There are also some guided mountain lion hunts that can provide their very own hounds to make searching for mountain lions easier. These hounds have been trained well and will manage to pick up the scent of the highly elusive mountain lion. If you want a fail proof method, you can make this choice.
Rules, Tips and Tricks You Have to Follow
Now that you already have an idea about the guided hunts that you will have, here are some things that you have to remember to make your mountain lion hunting smooth sailing:
- You may need to book with the mountain lion guided hunt a year in advance so that you will not run out of slots.
- There is a need for you to secure a license and a permit to hunt for mountain lions. Getting the license is not easy especially if you are only going to do it on the day that you plan to go hunting.
- You need to be in good physical condition before you go hunting. You will be required to walk for a long period of time and if you are not strong enough to do this, then your hunt will be fruitless.
- There are some guided hunts that will help you with getting your license and permit. This can be a good option if you are busy and if you do not mind paying a bit extra.
- Mountain Lions are strong and can take you down if they want to so follow the rules that will be given by the company you will choose as your guide.
Do you think that you have learned enough in order to book the guided mountain lion hunt happening soon? Did you enjoy the details that you have learned now? Maybe you are now rearing to get your very own mountain lion. It will be hard to achieve without the help of professionals but at least, you have now guided accordingly regarding the things you are going to do. Can you think of other tips and tricks that can help you catch your own mountain lion? Feel free to share these details in the comments below. Do not forget to share this article too so that more people can be informed.