When it comes to shooting, all that you want to accomplish is to shoot with accuracy. If you can, you would like to hit the bulls eye as often as possible but without the proper tools, this will be a bit hard to do.
You do know that the use of scope mounts can make it easier especially when using red dot sights. While these red mount sights are usually placed in the middle so that it will be perfect to use right out of the box, there are still some minor adjustments that have to be made. This is the time when people experience problems because they cannot make the small adjustments that the item requires them to do.
There is some argument whether a scope mount is the same as a red dot sight but a red dot sight is different from a scope. Actually, a red dot sight is used instead of a scope in certain situations. Of course, this functions the same way as a scope but the basis of the target will be the red dot.
Reason To Want A Red Dot Sight
There are some people who are new to using their firearms that they can use as a hobby or for target practice who do not understand immediately why they would need a red dot sight. Basically, the dot will be able to cover the target appropriately provided that it will be mounted on appropriately at the rails of the gun that you are going to use it for. You can count on being able to target the right item every time.
One of the misconceptions of people right now is thinking that the red dot sight is only for rifles but gone are the days when the red dot sight are limited to this type of gun. There are now some shotguns and even handguns that are placed with this type of accessory and those who are using it are actually quite happy with it.
Some people who enter contests use this whenever they are allowed to do so mainly because they know that they will be able to hit their targets easily. At the same time, if the contest requires the fastest time to hit targets, making use of the red dot sight will make a lot of difference.
Zeroing In Red Dot Sight
If you need some help on how you can zero a red dot sight, here are some of the things that you have to remember:
- You need to set up your target within a short distance from where you are going to shoot. The recommended distance is about 20 – 25 meters but if for some reason this does not work for you, you can adjust it depending on your needs.
- Place the firearm that you are going to use in solid rest. Make sure that it will center dot on the target. From this point on, you can already see if the target is too low the bulls eye or if it is too much on one side.
- There are squares that you can base on so that you will know how many squares it would take before you reach the desired target. Once you know the number of squares, try moving the adjustment screws and change it depending on how many squares you know you still have to adjust.
If in case you are not familiar with how you are going to change the adjustment screws, you would need to remove the protective cap first that are placed on the adjustment turrets. There may be some small differences with this depending on the model that you have. It does not mean that just because you have already adjusted another model before means that it will be the same for the model that you have right now.
There are two types of adjustments that you need to be familiar with namely:
- Windage Adjustment
- Elevation Adjustment
Windage Adjustment is when you would be adjusting your adjustment screws from side to side. You may change it from left to right and vice versa. There is usually an arrow that you can follow so that you will not have any issues while making the necessary adjustments.
Elevation Adjustment on the other hand is when you need to adjust the adjustment screws from top to bottom. You may adjust it if you want to point the red dot sight upwards or downwards. Usually, there is a direction on how you are going to do this appropriately. It may again depend on the model that you are going to use.
Shopping for The Right Sight
It does not mean that just because you already know how you can zero in with the use of a red dot sight, you will already be happy with all the shots that you will make. This will still depend highly on your skill and of course, the type of sight that you will purchase. What do you think are the things that you should look for in sights so that you can pick the right one? Here are some things to look for:
- Look for a red dot sight that is sturdy. You want something that can last for a certain period of time; not something that will suddenly break down after a few uses. Most red dot sights are known to be durable.
- Make sure that you will choose sights that have scratch proof lenses so that even if they get exposed to different things that may scratch them up, they will remain intact.
- Look for a sight that can provide a good, clear dot. There are times when you have to squint just to see the red dot especially if you are going to use it during circumstances wherein seeing the light can be a bit hard.
With all of the things that you have learned about sights in general, you will not only know how to shop and to look for the perfect red dot sight. You will also know how you can place it properly on your firearm to get accurate shots that will make you shoot like a pro.